Aloha nature enthusiasts,
I'm happy to report that February marked the month that ULOHA's Outreach wing took flight. I'm the Outreach Coordinator for the shop, Yoshi Akaha, and I'm dedicating the bulk of my time getting to know conservation groups around O'ahu with the aim of learning about our island ecosystem, the human impacts, and how individuals and companies like ULOHA can step up to be better stewards.
If you haven't heard of Kuli'ou'ou Ridge Trail I'd be surprised; It's one of the most popular hikes on island! One of the major issues here is caused by errant hikers shortcutting the switchbacks, which is eroding the landscape. This problem has rapidly worsened the more popular the trail has become. If you've visited in recent months though, you may have noticed signs popping up to block the shortcuts and keiki plants sprouting out of black weed mat in the larger gaps beside the maintained trail. This work to mitigate erosion is performed by Aloha Tree Alliance, the freshest face in the field of conservation. They recently adopted Kuli'ou'ou Ridge Trail to combat the habitat destruction and restore the native ecosystem. When I learned that they have monthly volunteer days open to the public, of course I signed up. I volunteered with my coworkers Max and John at their Feb 19 event alongside Nan Inc. employees and together we planted 119 native trees and shrubs, remediated several shortcuts, and installed three water catchment systems. It felt great to give back to a trail that I've enjoyed for over a decade! There is still so much work to be done. So if you feel inclined to join, March 19th will be your next opportunity!
3/6 - Hapalua King's Runner 10K
3/12 - Spring Running Sale kicks off @ ULOHA
3/12 - Hawaii Triathlon Center's North Shore Triathlon
3/19 - HURT's Aiea Loop Express
Additionally, here is a list of conservation organizations that are providing opportunities this month to give back to the land.
- Division of State Parks @ Diamond Head and Ka'ena Point on March 5th
- Lahilahi La Malama on March 6th (info in graphic below)
- 808 Cleanups @ Kaiwi Shoreline on March 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th
- Hui o Ko'olaupoko @ Kaha Native Plant Garden on March 11th
- Division of State Parks @ Ulupo Heiau on March 12th
- Protect & Preserve Hawai'i has events on March 12th, 19th, and 26th
- Hui Hanai'aina @ Waimea Valley on March 13th, 17th, 19th
- Hui o Ko'olaupoko @ Kawainui Wetland Restoration on March 18th and 26th
- Hui o Ko'olaupoko @ He'eia Estuary on March 19th and 24th
- Hawaii Climbing Coalition @ Mokulē'ia Crag on March 19th
- Aloha Tree Alliance @ Kuli'ou'ou on March 19th
We're having a SALE on distance running essentials + big bags!
Watch for 15% off of the following items from 3/12 to 3/18
- Osprey, Mystery Ranch, and Gregory backpacks 50L and up
- Hydrapak and Osprey Hydration Bladders
- Darn Tough Socks and Swiftwick Socks
- Altra, Salomon, Kahtoola, and Liberty Mountain Trail Gaiters
- Body Glide
That's all I've got for now. Check back in April for new opportunities to save on your purchases and to connect with events around O'ahu.